How to Become a Massage Therapist in Illinois
Although Illinois is known for its busy cities from Chicago to Springfield, it is also a great place to earn a license and certification in massage therapy. Wrigley Field, Michigan Avenue, and Millennium Park are also full of tourists and residents alike. When it is time to unwind, these same folks will turn to you for a massage.
You can become a massage therapist in Illinois very quickly. All you have to do is follow these steps :
- Attend an approved training school on behalf of the Department of Financial and Professional Regulation.
- Fulfill 600 hours of training while in school.
- Learn the basics in bodywork, physiology, anatomy, massage techniques, and business practices.
- Complete hands-on practice within a supervised clinical setting.
- Pass the NCBTMB or MBLEx.
- Renew your license and certification every two years along with 24 hours of continued education.
- Work as a massage therapist at a spa, salon, or resort. If you rather work within a medical setting, you can apply at a nursing home, doctor’s office, wellness center, or sports clinic.
From 2012 to 2022, the job outlook for massage therapy will increase by 23% according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. The average salary for massage therapists is $35,970.