How to Become a Massage Therapist in Oregon
Do you want to earn your massage therapy license and certification in Oregon? It is a beautiful state with both manmade and natural attractions. If you prefer a busy urban lifestyle, you should visit Portland. If the outdoors interests you more, you need to visit the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area, Crater Lake National Park, or the International Rose Garden.
All you have to do to become a massage therapist in Oregon is follow these guidelines :
- Enroll in an approved school on behalf of the Oregon Board of Massage Therapists.
- Complete 500 hours of training. 200 of those hours will be in health sciences like anatomy, pathology, and kinesiology. The other 300 are for theory, application, ethics, business practices, and hands-on experience.
- Pass the practical and national exams for certification. Oregon accepts the MBLEx, NCETM, FSMTMB, or the CESI exams.
- Pass a 25-question open-book written jurisprudence exam on laws and regulations of massage therapy.
- Apply for a job at a wellness center, nursing home, physician’s office, or sports injury clinic. You also have the option to work for a salon, spa, or resort. Some massage therapists can even go into business for themselves!
The job outlook for massage therapists will increase by 22% by 2022 according the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Those are great odds for anyone pursuing a career within the field!